Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ssh holes? Trojans? [long]

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:23:07 +0200

Now then, what we would like to do is to set up an ssh 'proxy' inside
the DMZ so that whatever is passed to the sshd on the proxy host
crosses our monitoring hosts 'in the clear'.

Does anyone know of such a beast?  Has anyone used it?  I
only found an
unfinished section of C code...

Nice problem. If you haven't already, you should look at the IETF secsh
working group pages - they have a reasonable description of the SSH
protocol, and mention some security issues.[1]

In summary, though, it's quite hard to do what you want. What you're
effectively trying to do is mount an active man-in-the-middle (MitM) attack
against the protocol. Sadly, the ephemeral keying in the SSH transport layer
is signed Diffie-Hellman, which is resistant to MitM.

[good description of the problems]

Actually I have seen such an implementation working. It was written by
bazsi () balabit hu for a never published firewall product, based on lsh.
It is expectable that there will be a new incarnation of the thing, either
by that lsh-based code, or by a proof-of-concept code I have made by
modifying openssh. Actually on the balabit homepage they say that
the architecture of Zorp is designed to make an ssh proxy possible.
[And there are all the ingredients out on the 'net open source: zorp as the
underlying architecture, my openssh hack, and I believe that the lsh code
contains the code of Bazsi.]

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból