Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX software release 5.2

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () tla org>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:42:29 -0700

--On Monday, September 18, 2000 10:54 AM -0500 shewitt () cdw com wrote:

Anybody have any good / bad experiences with PIX 5.2(1)?

It's working fine for me, so far. But it's a very small install, and we don't use WebSense. 5.2(1) adds SSH support (finally!), so that's a good reson to upgrade. Of course, you have to have a VPN license to use it (wonderful Cisco...). You can get a free 56-bit DES VPN license from Cisco, but have to pay for the 3-DES license. Oh, and you can only install the new license by re-loading the firmare on the PIX. Oh, and SSH-DES doesn't work with Tatu's unix SSH-1 client (it does with SecureCRT, so I suspect the unix code to be at fault, but...). And OpenSSH doesn't support DES.

But I'm not bitter. Really! :)

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson () tla org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body