Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Killing Napster and beyond...

From: "Zarcone, Christopher" <Christopher.Zarcone () netigy com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:07:05 -0700

All,

Indeed, Napster and RealAudio are greedy applications in terms of bandwidth,
but there are a lot of creative solutions that don't involve blocking ports.
The simplest solution I can think of would be to enforce a
Quality-Of-Service policy on your network.

Cisco routers, for example, have a QOS feature called Custom Queueing, where
you can assign percentages of bandwidth to specific protocols and ports. For
example, you could restrict RealAudio to 20% of the total bandwidth. In the
presence of competing traffic, RealAudio traffic above the 20% threshhold
would get queued (and ultimately dropped).

Cisco also has another QOS feature called Priority Queueing, where "higher"
priority traffic ALWAYS takes precedence over "lower" priority traffic. You
can define multiple layers of prioirity, with your business application
protocols at the highest priority, and RealAudio and Napster at the bottom.
Your business applications will effectively preempt any RealAudio traffic.
This can lead to certain protocols being "starved" in the presence of high
utilization, but in the case of RealAudio, that's probably what you want
anyway.

There is, of course, the notorious problem of applications tunneling over
other protocols. (Let's see, can we think of any protocols that get
ruthlessly exploited as a generic tunnel? Wait, let me think... could it be
HTTP? Bingo!) From the router's perspective, all you see is traffic on TCP
port 80. From a standpoint of QOS, the router won't be able to help you
here. You might be better served by shunting all of your HTTP traffic
through a really good proxy for more fine-grained traffic control.

It's times like this where it makes sense to step back, take off your
Firewall Hat, and put on your Router Hat (or your Proxy Hat or General
Purpose Infrastructure Hat). There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

Regards,

Christopher Zarcone, CISSP
Senior Consultant
christopher.zarcone () netigy com

Netigy Corporation
www.netigy.com

My opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employer. In
fact, my opinions have no intelligent content whatsoever and should not be
considered by anyone.

Message: 10