Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: What is "/24" in front of the IP number?

From: Ramji Venkateswaran <rv () uiop org>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:49:08 +0000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:00:45AM -0500,
        S. Jonah Pressman (jonah () istar ca)
said the following:

Fabio:

24 is the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (a full class 'C')

You may want to clip and save the following table:

[snip useful table]

It's probably equally important to understand exactly how an ip address is
made up, the difference between the host part, and the network part, and
what and how a subnet mask is applied.  The table that Mr. Pressman showed
above would be very useful to have practically, but in the longer term a
firm understanding would replace the need to carry the table around.

A copy of W. Richard Stevens 'TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 1' or 'Computer
Networks' by Andrew S. Tanenbaum will explain far better than I would.

Alternatively a quick search on $SEARCH_ENGINE gives:

http://www.3com.com/nsc/501302.html
    [ a bit soft but covers the important bits ]

Good luck,

Ramji

ps: SEARCH_ENGINE was google :)

--
Ramji Venkateswaran
Standard Disclaimer: My views are my own, not necessarily those of anybody

A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
                -- P. Erdos