Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Content based routing

From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins () itdomain com au>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 07:50:18 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giuseppe Paterno'" <gpaterno () spacelab gpaterno com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins () itdomain com au>
Cc: <firewall-wizards () nfr com>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 1:36 AM
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Content based routing

You are asking for a free product able to do what squid does? You are
aware that squid *is* free?

Yup, I am :))

Excellent :]

But I am not 100% sure that squid is able to do content based
routing: from the FAQ and the documentation is able to do httpd
acceleration, but can it decide to which web server reroute the request on
the URL basis ? For example:

http://www.mydomain.com/      -> webserver1.mysite.com
http://www.mydomain2.com/     -> webserver2.mysite.com
http://www.mydomain.com/about -> webserver3.mysite.com

Yes it can. Theres a certain amount built-in, and you can use a redirectory
if you need more advanced rules. The redirector simply reads a URI and
writes a new one back to squid (many people write small perl scripts).

I haven't tried with apache or other free product... but I hope this helps

Rob

PS For the record I hack on squid in my spare time... you can call me biased
:-]

Anyway, it is not required to use squid, but *any* free product.
I know that commercial packages such as Inktomi Traffic Server and
Netscape (now iPlanet) Proxy are capable of that ....

Cheers,
Gippa