Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: user based IP address assginment

From: Tamas FORJAN <tamas () 2fkft com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:41:57 +0100

At 19:42 2000.10.30., GS wrote:
And, a user gets a "random" ip out of his subnet ip pool.
What i want to do is to "hard-wire" an IP to an User! (_not_ to a machine).
The platform can be WinNT 4/5 or Netware 4/5.

An idea:

1. During system bootup time, all machines would receive an IP address
through DHCP. For this purpose, you would use an IP address range which is
not routed anywhere, and cannot be used for anything at all except temporary
communication. Probably IP-based ACLs can be set up in all machines to
prevent using these IP addresses at all.

2. When the user logs in, we change its IP address to the one tied to the
user ID, from a completely diffrent IP address range.
I am not sure about Win95/98, but in NT this can be done without rebooting.
Thus, you could use ipconfig to achieve this.

I see this as a 'dirty hack' since two distinct IP address ranges are used
on the same network segment, but to me it seems to be a working hack.

Bye,

--
FORJAN Tamas
Technical Support