Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 throughput question

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 04:21:46 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy, sie wrote:

As far as I know, 4.0 does not run on Linux or FreeBSD so I fail to see how
they are relevant here.

They *are* relevant with respect to IP Filter.

AFAIK, FreeBSD 4.0 isn't *true* SMP (still uses "big lock").
As far as Linux goes, I stopped supporting IP Filter on Linux long ago
and continue to hear frightning reports about 2.4 so I'm not inclined
to do anything on that front in a hurry.

The original query was about the performance of FW-1 on Solaris - where
IP Filter does run in an SMP friendly fashion (quite nicely thank you) -
much as I expect FW-1 would.  I'd strongly suggest having some sort of
factual basis (even if it's 5min exercises) in future rather than just
widly making claims about which you seem to be in no position at all to
make!

Now, can we put this to bed ?

Sigh.
Darren