Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High Speed Firewalls

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:48:11 -0500

2000-03-07-12:07:07 Chenggong Charles Fan:
Have you had a chance to look at a product called Rainwall, made
by Rainfinity. (www.rainfinity.com) It has a very different
approach from hardware load-balancers.  It is a software-only
solution, installed right on the firewalls, and manages virtual
IPs on the firewalls.  In effect, it is almost similar to the
LB-DNS you suggested.

I haven't, but other folks have forwarded comments about it to me.
Sounds like it might be an interesting approach.

So far I've managed to avoid the need for load-balancers for
firewalls; I use 'em in front of web farms.

And in other news, it looks from what people have said, and the
claims on the web page, like BigIP has gotten some kind of adaptive
server-load-tracking abilities, so I guess the LocalDirector is no
longer the only player in town.

-Bennett