Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High Speed Firewalls

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:28:45 -0800 (PST)

I think their may be some confusion between "gigabit" and "gigabyte".

Also, from your description, it sounds like you don't need a "firewall" but
basic packet filtering. A Cisco router can handle gigabits/second and can carry
out this basic level of filtering.

A high-end commercial firewall is good when you have a huge series of security
needs that you want centralized: dynamic filters, VPN, NAT, proxy, etc. It is
an extremely poor solution if you need high-speed, basic static packet filters.
Any commercial firewall is overkill for such simple needs; you'll like find
what you need in a packet-filtering router.

Rob.

--- Henry Baez <hbaez () eos hitc com> wrote:
I am doing research on very high speed firewalls.  I mean firewalls that
are right now available that could handle OC3 and higher speeds via Gig
Byte Etherenet cards.  In searching the recent posting of this list and
a lot of general web searching, I have found only one firewall that
claims they can do so.  It is call POTUS from a company called Livermore
Software Laboratories.  I would very much like to find at lease another
vendor which at lease matches the claim of PORTUS, 300 MB plus through
put.  Management, bless them, likes to have choices, I would like to
present more then one vendor if possiable.

I have experiences with two commercial firewalls, Checkpoint and
Gauntlet, and one freeware firewall, Ipfilter.  But the links where way
under 10 Meg Byte.  None of the firewalls I have work on 'claim' the
speeds I am looking for.  All the magazines 'test/reviews' I have looked
at top out at about 150 Meg. Byte.  The number of users for this project
would not be large, but each one would be moving Gig Byte size files
across the world.

Thanks,

Henry Baez
hbaez () eos hitc com