Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Incident

From: Michael Erskine <osiris () urbanna net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:35:15 -0500 (EST)

You have all you need to have him prosecuted.  Do us all a big favor,
prosecute.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Robert Driscoll wrote:

Howdy Wizards,

      I wanted to collect an opinion from the members of this group.

      Recently one of the offices in my company had a security break in on
their internet router. The culprit signed onto the router for the office and
reconfigured it.

      From the logs we know where the ip address of the person that telnet'd
into the router (unless of course it was spoofed). Through NSLOOKUP we were
able to find out the owner of the source address, and as it happens that
company
recently hired an ex-employee of ours. I also found out that that
ex-employee
had the password for the router.

      The office manager is looking to see what means of prosecution we have
available. My suggestion was the following:

1) Log an incident report with CERT.
2) Notify the network manager of the source address that we suspect thier
equipment
   was used for malicious purposes.
3) The office manager is also looking to see if we should file a local
police report.

      Any other suggestions?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Robert Driscoll
Systems and Networks Manager
PrimeSource Corporation
Seattle, WA  98188
Phone:        (206) 394-5574
Fax:          (206) 394-5579
E-Mail:       driscoll_r () primesource com