Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: Jack Dingler <jdingler () texas net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 14:31:34 -0600

The three card configuration is safer.  With it, you can protect your
public servers from hackers and if they do happen to get through, you
can protect you internal network from your DMZ.

Exchange Server?  I'll let someone else bite on that one.

DCOM?  This can't be secured.  DCOM can run on multiple protocols unless
it's running from a  95 or 98 client, then it has to be TCP/IP.  If it's
running on udp, then the DCOM subsystem maintains the state, even though
it's running over a stateless protocol.  Remember, IP is stateless, but
TCP adds state to it through an additional layer.

One of the biggest security problems with DCOM, is that fact that it
connects initially on port 135.  This is the Remote Process Control
port, and it's not the only service that can be accessed through this
port.  After a multi-packet negotiation, DCOM then reconnects at some
high port, who's range is defined by registry entries, and defaults to
1024 > Port <= 65535.  Any FireWall that is filtering DCOM, must watch
the negotiation to see which port is being opened, in order to open up
the appropriate port.  Otherwise, you have to open a range of ports, and
hope that trojans haven't been installed on your servers, listening in
the same range.

If you're running NT with DCOM, then DCOM will actually try multiple
protocols to get through.  You can view the protocols using DCOMCNG.  If
the client fails with one protocol, then it will try another.  So it may
try UDP on 135, then TCP on 135 then switch to NetBEUI on 139.  It will
also attempt to tunnel protocols over other protocols.  It's a sneaky
protocol in practice.

If your clients are connecting through DCOM, then you definitely want
your DCOM server on the DMZ.

If a DMZ server is communicating from the DMZ into your internal network
using DCOM, then you may be a little safer, but I wouldn't feel secure
about it.

Jack Dingler

Michael Borkin wrote:

 I have been called upon to re-design an existing network to allow the
hosting of a web and e-mail server.  It is a pure Microsoft network
(95/98, NT, and W2K) that will incorporate a checkpoint FW-1 firewall
(actually VPN-1) as part of the design.  My main questions at this
point have to do with the DMZ, what belongs there, and how to connect
it to the firewall and the internet.  The connection to the internet
will come in over an SDSL router (brand unknown at this time), but
from there I have gotten conflicting advice. Should all traffic be
passed back to the firewall which will have 3-nic cards (1- Internet,
2- DMZ, 3- Internal network), or should the router itself have two
ethernet ports (1- Firewall, 2- DMZ) and the firewall only have two
nic cards (1- Internet, 2- Internal Network) as well?  The argument
for the 3-card configuration is that logging is better that way.
Meanwhile, the 2+2 argument is to keep as little traffic from being
able to flow into and through the firewall machine as possible for
both overhead and security reasons.  I am leaning towards the 3-card
configuration based on the fact that it is the recommendation from
Checkpoint (or at least their vendors), but I would like to know if
anyone has any opinions before I decide.  As for the machines in the
DMZ, other than the web server itself (IIS 4.0) I am not sure which
ones need to reside there and which need to be placed on the internal
network for the best security configuration.  Below is described the
main services that I am concerned with at the moment. E-mail is
currently handled by an Exchange Server, but is also used for services
besides just internet e-mail such as public folders and internal
company mail.  One person therefore recommended setting up an SMTP box
in the DMZ and having it dedicated to relaying internet based e-mail
from the outside back through the firewall (and vice-versa) to protect
the other information on the Exchange server.  That sounded good to
me, but later when I was discussing this with another person I got a
totally different opinion.  He said it was a bad idea to let another
box handle the e-mail and that to have the Exchange box on the
internal network would cause me to have to punch huge holes in the
firewall to let certain services through.  Therefore, the Exchange box
needed to reside in the DMZ rather than behind it.  What he said
really didn't make sense to me, because I would think that it would be
having the Exchange server in the DMZ that would cause me to have to
punch holes rather than the other way around.  But, just because I
don't understand his reasoning doesn't mean he is incorrect especially
since he knows a lot more about firewalling than I do, so I ask which
is the better way to go? Next, is that the web server uses dynamic
html for much of the website content.  This leverages both a SQL
server and DCOM programming built through Visual InterDev to deliver
the content to the web server.  This is where it really goes over my
head at the moment, if it was just SQL server then I know to place it
on the inside and let the calls from the web server come back through
the firewall.  However from what I have been told by a developer, DCOM
uses dynamic port allocation when establishing a stateful connection
(although from what I have read it uses udp, so I don't know why there
should be a stateful connection).  I honestly don't understand enough
to know where the DCOM part of the process sits (although I am
guessing it is on the web rather than the database server), and
whether this means that I have to open up a port range for DCOM to
work properly or to move the SQL server out to the DMZ (neither of
which sounds like a good idea to me).  Also, I am not sure about what
ports or rules would need to be incorporated to get this to function
as securely as possible if everything other than the web server
resides behind the firewall. If anyone could either point me towards
reference material and/or give me advice about how the DMZ portion of
the network should be setup based on the factors explained above it
will be greatly appreciated.  If you need any further information
before making a suggestion or recommendation, please feel free to
contact me either on or off list and I will be more than glad to do
what I can to fill in the gaps. Thanks, Mike