Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: "Omar T. Fahnbulleh" <otariq () bellatlantic net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 02:39:47 -0500

Mike,
networks that I've configured I've put a SMTP relay server in the DMZ that
will pass all incoming e-mail to the Exchange server and the exchange server
will forward all e-mail destine for the internet to the smtp server to send
out.  I will suggest 3 nic cards, you should also use SPLIT DNS.  Your web
server that will be accessed from the internet should be placed in the DMZ
with valid IP address. If you are using NAT you will need to configure an
ARP file that will map the mac address of the external interface to the
valid addresses that will be placed in your DMZ, you will also need to
create routes since the OS will be doing the routing.  If using NAT you will
need to use Static NAT to map the private address to the legal address.
In the ARP File you will have:
Mac address ext. interface        Valid IP addresses
00-A0-C9-A8-B6-28                    address of Webserver
00-A0-C9-A8-B6-28                    Address of SMTP relay server
00-A0-C9-A8-B6-28                    Address of DNS Server
***Issues with ARP files is that it does not work consistently if you create
10 or more entries. The Arp file should be placed in the FW\state folder as
ex:local.arp

You can get an SMTP Relay server (Mimesweeper) that will also scan all
incoming and out going e-mails for Viruses.  I like using this functionality
because it's your first line of defense against trojan horses, virus and
other bad stuff out there on the internet.  You will always have to keep the
Virus software updated with the most recent patch.

I have so much more information to help you.  I don't have the time to spell
it all out for you here tonight.  Send me an e-mail if you would like my
help and I'll forward you my number.
Checkout www.checkpoint.com\~joe

Omar