Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

iPlanet Webtop proxy

From: Neil Ratzlaff <neil.ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:06:20 -0800

I was asked to look at iPlanet Webtop for use in secure remote communications - encryption of email, telnet, TN3270, etc. Maybe more things later. Reading their web pages, I found a disquieting comment about java sandbox security, copied below. The general approach often talks about how tunnelling through the firewall is so much better than opening a port to the server. Does anyone know about this product?

Thanks,
Neil

The Netlet software works by downloading an applet, called a Netlet, from the iPlanet Webtop server that works in conjunction with a reverse multiplexing proxy on the server. Since both end points are controllable, the traffic can be encrypted.

The Netlet can also be used to redirect "emulation" applications, such as Citrix, pcANYWHERE Express, and GraphOn's GO-Joe X emulation. Normally these applications cannot get out of the Java "sandbox" and could only connect back to the system from which they were spawned. However, the Netlet completely eliminates this restriction transparently to the application.