Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:19:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 ark () eltex ru wrote:

Viruses are a problem which can be `managed'.  They're `damage' is also

Only after the fact.

*BEFORE*. Just don't run (well, you can call it "open", if you are
lose-dose user) shit from the net and you are safe.
Don't use .doc and .xls for external communications. Use rtf and
comma-separated format instead. It is a good idea anyways, just because
not everybody outside runs weendoze.

In most companies, that's not an option.  An amazing number of vendors
send .xls spreadsheets and .doc files these days.  Personally, I haven't
acquired any viruses unintentionally in the last 10 years, and only one in
the period prior to that (and it wasn't Internet-related, it was
internally spread from a business partner in a software development shop
in a company that didn't have any scanners or even a security policy.)

Fortunately, I'm now at the point where I can choose my computing
environment, *most* people are at the behest of company standards.

It's a good idea to eliminate that nasty thingies inside the company too.
Switching to less dangerous formats and more reasonable groupware and
document handling system will help you not only with security.

If you know people in ~30 person non-technology companies who can even
enumerate "less dangerous formats", let alone get their *customers* to
switch, you know a lot more bright people than I at that level.

If you are, after all, forced to get those things from outside, set up
a quarantine system and perform checks (or even format conversion) on it.
Use server-based virus scanners on your LAN.

Again, virus scanners are an after-the-fact mechanism.  Especially
because someone has to get the virus prior to someone generating a
signature.

I see the PC viruses from they day they were invented. And my opinion
did not change for more that 10 years: only natural born idiot can get

You underestimate the total number of natural born idiots in the world
obviously ;)

damaged by a virus. If you run files you recieve by email, you are one
of those. If your users are, you should punish them for that, throw them
out or shoot them, just like you will do with someone who damages your
hardware on regular basis.

If we could shoot lusers, we probably wouldn't have jobs since there'd be
nobody to protect anymore.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280