Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:20:29 -0500

Ryan Russell wrote:
I expect to see ransom demands (either the real attackers or just
opportunists) become announced to the press any time now.

That'd be interesting because it'd clear up the issue of motivation!!

I've always been bemused by the whole denial of service thing. It
seems so pointless. It's just vandalism; not even as cool as virus
writing, and virus writing is very uncool.

If I was Bezos, I'd offer some amazon.com options for whoever
turned in the culprit and sufficient evidence. Then I'd litigate
the culprit back to the stone age, including his friends, parents,
business associates, school, etc. - anyone involved. Crush 'em
real hard, real mean, and real openly.

mjr.