Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Citrix ICA through port 80?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:53:32 +0100

SF BA wrote:

I know that some of you will consider this a bad thing
... that aside, I still need to figure out my options.

We have a demo that runs on Windows Terminal Server
and Citrix MetaFrame.  Some of our potential customers
have firewalls setup that block their users from going
out on unknown ports (if they don't have Citrix
installed already, then they'll block the ports that
ICA uses).

There is very likely a _reason_ why they are blocking
everything but "known services". If the IS departments
find out that their users are tunneling ICA through
HTTP, the users are likely to ... umm.. get banned
from the network or fired from the company. This is
not a nice thing to do to your customers.

I'd advise going through the long and cumbersom route;
get your customers to make their IS departments change
their policies. Then it won't be your fault if something
goes wrong.

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46-(0)660-105 50           Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50