Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Nokia/Checkpoint firewall

From: "Starkey, Kyle" <Kyle.Starkey () msdw com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:37:43 -0800

WOW...
I didn't read my Wizards mail for a few days and I miss out on all the good
action.  I wanted to respond to the slew of remarks made on the Nokia.
Hopefully a numerical list format will be advantageous.

1) Hardware on my E250's:
Some one asked about the hardware I was running on E250's.  It is as follows
Solaris 2.6
2 X UltraSPARC-II 400Mghz
512 MB RAM (4 by 128)

2) Managability and Size:
This is my favorite part about these boxes.  The OS is truely tweaked as
some of the other list memebers has stated, I don't know exactly what
version of BSD was used (I think one of the Ipsilon developers stated it was
FreeBSD 2.2.6), but I can say it is very easy to migrate from one flavor to
another.  I installed the new OS image 3.2.1, ugraded Firewall version, and
installed SSH package on 4 new boxes yesterday. It took me approximately 45
minutes, TOTAL with these Nokia's, any other flavor boxes would have taken
hours to do the same.  As far as the size issue is concerned these things
are amazing.  I can fit 8 Nokia's and an E250 in a single Full size (72" x
19") rack and still have enough room for cable guides, the E250's are VERY
large and don't lend themselves to scaleing.

3) Support:
I have called the tech support number at Nokia a few different times and I
have never spent more than about 5 minutes on hold waiting for an operator
(usually more like 60 seconds).  I have also never had to have anything
escalated, the level one support is good enough to help me with what I need
(most of you guys who are Unix gurus will not need any help at all on
these).  They have also given me access to the support website with all the
new packages and documentation to help me get on my way.

4) Price:
Bang for the buck, these things are great.  We got a pretty good deal on
ours cause we bought a whole mess of them, but they are comparably priced to
Enterprise class SUN hardware.

5) HA Solutions
While it is true that the there is no options for the Stonesoft people with
the Nokia, I am sure that it will not be far behind, but in the interim the
VRRP does just fine for the fial over solution.  I have also talked to
vendors from ArrowPoint Communications, Alteon and Cisco.  All of their
solutions have been very clever, but it seeems a bit overkill.  If I have
VRRP running and one box goes down, the other machine will take over and I
can order new parts or a full replacement box if need be.  If I was really
paranoid well then I would buy an extra box and leave it sitting in a basic
config sitting on a self waiting to be used.  At the price I think this
solution would be much cheaper ths than any of the super deluxe routing
scenarios that would be a pain to set up and a pain to manage.

As far as the management station is concerned I keep it on a solaris box,
the multitude of services and hardware that are available and will integrate
with SUN hardware and Solaris is nice to have.  I like to also send my
syslog fwlogs from my firewalls to my managment machine that way I have a
single point to search the logs for people doing funny things to my servers.

I found this to be a great solution for me due to the enterprise size and my
lack of expertise in the solaris realm.  Perhaps it is not the solution for
you, but if you are like me and have more things to do than you have time,
well than these things will free up some cycles for you to do other things
like read this list....

-Kyle
Information Security
MSDW Online