Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ design - Exchange, SQL, & DCOM

From: "Michael Borkin" <borkin () netquest com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 05:23:52 -0500

Michael, it's gonna take a bit of study to get into DCOM. There are books
on
this topic; and it is not an easy read (I doubt we'll see DCOM for
dummies...)

DCOM rides on RPC, which uses the port replicator thing. There's a TechNet
article from MS explaining how to limit the range of ports grabbed by RPC.

Carl,

    Thanks for the reply, but those books are really for programmers and not
for someone just needing to understand it from an administrative
perspective.  I will definitely check out the TechNet article though.  I've
already found almost the perfect article about DCOM from an administrative
perspective at:
http://www.microsoft.com/msj/defaulttop.asp?page=/msj/0398/dcomtop.htm  It
describes how DCOM passes packets along the wire and therefore how it would
affect a firewall.  I have only been able to read the article once so I
haven't been able to fully wrap my mind around the whole thing yet (since
putting the SQL server in the same DMZ as the web server eliminates any need
to fight with DCOM, and I have so many other things to research it is
definitely back burner right now).

Mike