Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: nokia/checkpoint

From: Jürgen Nieveler <Juergen.Nieveler () arxes de>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:25:23 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: jf () gmx de [mailto:jf () gmx de]
Our Chief- Technician has decided to buy a Nokia/checkpoint High-
availability Cluster. As far as I've gotten it, the nokia
acts as sort of
loadbalancer for the checkpoints.

LAN1 |---Checkpoint---Nokia----Checkpoint-----|LAN2
     |--------------------VPN-----------------|

Are there any known drawbacks /pitfalls /whatever when operating these
devices with network -loads > 250MBps ?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but our distributor once told me that the
Nokia HA bundle does only do failover clustering, not real loadbalancing.

AFAIK you can only use them as load-balancers if you configure both machines
as gateways and tell half of your clients to use one of them, the other half
to use the other.

Besides... I think the Network cards on the Nokias support only up to
100MBit...

Just my 2 Cents...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely

Juergen Nieveler
arxes Software Factory AG
UB eCommerce
Tel.: +49/241/16008-327
Fax:  +49/241/16008-354
Email: juergen.nieveler () arxes de
Web: www.arxes.de
PGP:
2AAB A988 0B80 D53F FC53  3BED 8CC0 2092 922D 8378 (DH)
5ADF A15E 91E4 98DB  2391 0D29 8B08 A884 (RSA)