Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Auditing Firewalls

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () spitzner net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:33:55 -0600 (CST)

I've updated my "Auditing Your Firewall Setup".
The paper goes into more technical detail on
how to use the tools to audit a firewall rulebase.

I'm looking for input on a good tool to use
TTL's to map a rulebase.  Something along the lines
of setting the TTL with an namp scan so one
can firewalk a rulebase.  Unfortunately, the
actual tool firewalk is designed to work against
a router behind the firewall.  I'm looking to
have TTL's expire on the firewall itself.  For
now I am using hping2 as a proof of concept.
The paper covers this, however I'm still
searching for a good tool for this scan method.

Auditing Your Firewall Setup
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/audit.html

Thanks!

--