Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX open ports on outside interface?

From: "istong" <istong () zuniversity com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:37:47 -0500

Last I checked the default is to deny all and you explicit specify what to
permit.  I have only been able to manage PIX systems from an inside
interface (even after specifying a telnet outside command).  Based on your
conduit permit or access-list scenario below you should be fine.  No telnet
from the outside.

One interesting side note is the addition of being able to SSH to the PIX.
This has been added in the 5.2x code release.  I can't use it though as it
is limited to basic setups and not advanced ones like I implement.  Beware
of the 5.2x code as there is a bug which breaks the alias command.  We use
the alias command on the PIX to rewrite DNS entries so we can access
internal systems that have a public DNS entry.  Without it you would do a
DNS lookup on system () yourdomain com and it would return the public address
to you.  But with you and the system behind the firewall - you will never
get to it using it's public address.

FYI,

Ian