Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPChains and firewall rules

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:05:35 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Simeon Johnston, sie wrote:
I am setting up a firewall for a small company and am wondering what kind of
rules to use with ipchains.  It is running on a SuperSPARC 10 and will not
allow any access through to the internal network.  What I am wondering
specifically is if I need any rules at all.  If the default input policy is
to deny and I have turned off all open ports to the outside, what use is
there in having rules to block nonexistent traffic?
I have not really done this before so if I am wrong, please bring me to the
Light.

Just to be sure, you are running Linux on the Sun SPARCStation 10 and not
Solaris ?  You don't mention this explicitly but it is significant - ipmasq
and ipchains are "linux only".

Darren