Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reading firewall logs -reply

From: Mark.Teicher () predictive com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:37:36 -0400

At one time or another, some of us on this list, that is all they did for
a number of years.  Crafting PERL scripts, utilizing gawk,awk,sed, etc as
Tom mentions are some ways of reducing the time of looking through log
files, but in order to craft particular scripts, an administrator should
be familiar enough with the daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly events that
have been observed in the various log files one has accumulated.  Pattern
matching, correlating events is one of the fundamental traits of a "some
what" good firewall administrator.  Note, I wrote firewall administrator
not firewall architect or firewall implementation engineer.  A firewall
administrator is someone who maintains the system on a daily basis, checks
for anomalies etc.

Once a firewall administraotr is familiar enough with the daily, weekly,
monthly activities of the organization, then one can start building the
correlation event table, and discard activity deemed as normal, which
assist in crafting the scripts mentioned by Tom.  If one does not spend
the time or relies on tools that are not fully baked or bug free.  Please
refer to Bellovin and Cheswick "Firewalls and Internet Security", the
chapter on "An Evening with Bereford" or "The Cuckoo's Egg" for some
insight on anomalies and the vigil to cull through log files religiously
on a daily basis.

/mark

"Litney, Tom" <TLitney () caiso com>
Sent by: owner-firewall-wizards () lists nfr net
04/26/00 03:33 PM
Please respond to "Litney, Tom"