Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Reading firewall logs

From: Dominik Miklaszewski <dmikey () uswest net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:02:32 -0500

Alex Lim wrote:

Hi,

I am hoping to hear some enlightening comments on reading firewall logs.
I am curious if people are actually doing it or is there some kind of
tools that we can buy off the shelf. I dun think it's productive or
efficient to ask an employee to spend a few hours reading the logs just
to look out for anomalies.

Anyone care to comment ? BTW I am referring to the Checkpoint FW-1 logs.

TIA
Alex Lim

1. Use fw-1 export feature
2. ftp/scp/ flat files to a backyard box
2. Parse the flat file with awk/grep/sed/perl
3. Optionally may use Mysql <on the backyard box>
4. Do reports you want with perl/CGI through Apache
5. Restrict the access
6. Impress people ;)

looks like a job, but what a fun! :)

cheers,