Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SonicWalls take down networks?

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Stout <Bill.Stout () AristaSoft com> wrote:
Has anyone run into the problem where SonicWalls
take down the entire
network with IP address conflicts?

How can any device take down an "entire IP network"? All the ways I can think
of that happening are due to user error in configuring the device, which can
apply to any device (true, some make devices encourage more user errors than
others). For example, you could:
* assign a duplicate address, which causes problems on another router or server
* assign a duplicate subnet, which causes routing tables to be hosed for awhile

From the evidence given, it doesn't yet look like a problem unique to
SonicWall.

===
Robert Graham
"Anxiously awaiting the millenium so I can start programming
dates with 2-digits again."