Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SonicWalls take down networks?

From: "George Mari" <marig () twjconsulting com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:01:22 -0500

Bill,

I too, own a SonicWall which I curse under my breath.  I'm not running NAT
with it, but I have run into the IP address limitation.  In our case, the
11th machine trying to address the external network is refused access.  This
seems to be a time-limited thing, because if the other 10 machines are quiet
for some time, the 11th machine does get access, and now some other poor
machine gets to play the part of 11th machine.  Mind you, I'm not griping
about this, as I knew about the limit when I bought the box.  Perhaps in
your case, the combination of NAT and the IP address limitation really is
causing the problem.

What has driven me nuts about it is an obscure problem with PPTP connections
made through the unit not allowing binary file transfers - that's right,
text files go through just fine, but binary files stop after just a few
Kbytes.  Their technical support has tried really hard, but of course,
cannot solve this problem.  They insist that this should work, but when I
asked if they have specifically tried this in their 'labs', to prove to me
it does work, they get really quiet...

Our unit will be going up for auction on E-bay very soon - lesson learned.

--
George Mari
TWJ Consulting, L.L.C.

"An ancestor of mine maintained, that if you eliminate
the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth." - Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI