Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewall(s) "maxed" out

From: "Regan, Sharon" <Sharon_Regan () newcourt com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:54:27 -0400

Hi:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but we're a three person
internetwork shop supporting a user population of 5,000 +

Anyway, I believe we have found the new "killer" app.  There are all types
of these free e-mail "services" (if you will), like yahoomail and hotmail,
etc.  Well, there's this new one called visto.

What this one does is allow a user to "synchronize" his/her regular
(company) e-mail with his/her visto mail, calendar, etc., such that,
whenever a new message arrives in the corporate mailbox, you see it in the
visto mailbox.  The users download an app from visto which runs in the
background on the office desktop machine, and which then tunnels data back
to visto inside of HTTP.  So, on the surface of things, it just looks like a
regular browser session.

We're finding increasing numbers of users availing themselves of this
"service" .... word spreads like wildfire among the masses  .... our
firewalls work harder, longer, require more disk space to log all this
stuff, there is additional traffic on the Internet T-1 (which is not there
for the exclusive use of employees ... we actually do e-business ! ), etc.

I've rebuilt my kernel and added more disk space since I posted to the list,
but I'm seriously considering putting an access-list on the serial interface
of my internet edge router and be done with it, once and for all.

Sharon