Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Passwords

From: Siglite <siglite () criticalstop com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:06:37 -0400 (EDT)

On smaller networks, the best way to determine if user passwords have been
compromised is to be familiar with your users's habits.

Example:

Joe logs in from dialupip () his isp com twice a day or so, and you know this
because you diligently watch your logs.  Joe's been doing this oh, every
day or so for the past six months.  Then one day, you notice in your logs
that Joe has started loggin in from someip.somenetwork.cz.  On my network,
that would be pretty unusual, prompting me to ask joe about it.

That's a pretty extreme example, but familiarity with your users, and
thier habits goes a LONG way towards detecting a security breech.  I do of
course realize how much more difficult this becomes in a serious
enterprise environment with thousands upon thousands of users.  However,
I've written scripts in the past to parse my system logs to determine
where any individual is most likely to login from, then look for changes.

/*-----------------------------------*/
/* I live with FEAR every day.       */
/* But, sometimes, she lets me RACE. */

KT Morgan
Network Engineer
Checkpoint Firewall-1 CCSA/CCSE
Microsoft MCP
Software Systems Group, Inc

the compaq support website, crib notes version:
"you cant do that."