Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Passwords

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:27:39 -0400

From: Rex Murphy [mailto:rmurphy () Networkguys com]

Is there a product that can identify "hacked Passwords."  I had a
conversation with some one and they mentioned that such a
product existed.

You can run the software people have written to hack passwords on your
password file to determine "hackable" passwords.  My friend did this a lot
in college and sent alerts to the sysadmin.  As far as determining if a
password has been "hacked," how is this possible?  "Hacked" could mean
shoulder-surfed or guessed.  ie. there would be nothing to distinguish a
hacker logging on to an account from the actual user logging into the
account.  Unless they mean detecting hack attempts, and this kind of thing
is genrally in place in systems already.

Sean