Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IP Spoofing.

From: Emiliano Kargieman <core.lists.firewall-wizards () core-sdi com>
Date: 1 Oct 1999 19:39:49 -0300

Robert Graham wrote:

The detection of who it was involved simply looking back through the router
logs. For ISN prediction to work, you have to get the ISN. It's fairly easy to
track back who retrieved the ISN previous to the one being predicted.

Rob.

Not so easy, you can only track it down to somebody with the ability to sniff
packets somewhere in the path the SYN+ACK packet took back.
The SYN used for retrieving the ISN could also be spoofed.

--
===================[ CORE Seguridad de la Informacion S.A. ]=======================

Emiliano Kargieman                                  emiliano_kargieman () core-sdi com

Director de Investigacion                                          www.core-sdi.com

Corelabs
Pte. Juan D. Peron 315 Piso 4 UF 17
Buenos Aires, (1038). Argentina.                      Tel/Fax : +(54.11)43.31.54.02

"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not;
 but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any
 but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all

 have to do it." -- Mark Twain

"La maxima adquisicion psicologica del mundo portenio es la absoluta insumision de
las
nuevas generaciones" -- Florencio Escardo

--- For a personal reply use emiliano_kargieman () core-sdi com