Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IP Spoofing.

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:14:46 -0700 (PDT)

Many years ago, Shimomura posted an account of this to the NetSys firewall
mailing list. It was fascinating reading, so I put a copy on my site. A link to
it is here:

http://www.robertgraham.com/mirror/shimomura-spoofing.html

The IP spoofing carried out wasn't to "anonymize" the activity, but simply to
subvert a trust relationship with an X terminal. It used TCP seqno prediction
and a sort of SYN flood against the spoofee to prevent it from tearing down the
connection. It really was the "classic" spoofing attack.

The detection of who it was involved simply looking back through the router
logs. For ISN prediction to work, you have to get the ISN. It's fairly easy to
track back who retrieved the ISN previous to the one being predicted.

Rob.