Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: BigIP controller - any issues?

From: Victor Granic <vgranic () 724 com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:17:55 -0400

:  -----Original Message-----
:  From: Cleaver, Richard J [mailto:Richard.Cleaver () capgemini co uk]
:  Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 6:25 AM
:  To: firewall-wizards () nfr net
:  Subject: BigIP controller - any issues?
:
:  I have been asked to investigate the effect of implementing the BigIP
:  Controller from F5 networks. It has been proposed to place
:  this device (of
:  which I have no experience) on the dirty side of internet
:  facing firewalls
:  to achieve firewall load balancing. Does anyone know of any
:  security issues
:  with this device?
:
:  Thanks
:
:  Richard
:

Hi Richard,

The OS in BigIP is a BSD kernel (stripped down?) with packet filtering.
In addition, the commercial version of SSH is included for secure remote
access.  One feature you may want to disable is a Web based administration
interface that is installed by default.  Mind you, it is only accessible
via SSL.  No inetd, no portmapper, sendmail by option, and good logging
features.

Victor