Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: BigIP controller - any issues?

From: Gregory Blake <greg () healthgate com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:47:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 30 Sep 1999, Chris Shenton wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:25:06 +0100, "Cleaver, Richard J" <Richard.Cleaver () capgemini co uk> said:

Cleaver,> I have been asked to investigate the effect of implementing
Cleaver,> the BigIP Controller from F5 networks. It has been proposed
Cleaver,> to place this device (of which I have no experience) on the
Cleaver,> dirty side of internet facing firewalls to achieve firewall
Cleaver,> load balancing. Does anyone know of any security issues with
Cleaver,> this device?

It's a UNIX box under the covers, BSDI. They seem to have done a good
job of locking it down and are ssh-aware. Tho I was surprised to see
they had IP forwarding enabled so I could route right through it.

This is something you can turn on and off throught the interface.

state if the firewall it's using dies. There are a couple vendors who
sell solutions specific to CheckPoint Firewall-1 but I'm unaware of
fault-tolerant solutions for Gauntlet. We're planning on doing it with
dynamic routing with our routers and back-end servers.

Supposedly the latest version of the BIGip software will actually transfer
state information about users between the boxes. (It was just released
within the last few days)

Gregory