Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lightweight standalones? WAS: BlackIce Defender???

From: Patrick Oonk <patrick () pine nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:21:46 +0200

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 11:21:11AM -0400, sean.kelly () lanston com wrote:
I've never heard of such a thing, but are there any little (desktop) 2-port
standalone firewalls available?  I would think with the growing popularity
of cable and DSL access that such a thing would be quite practical, and IMO
setting up a *nix-based PC for the task seems like overkill.  All it would
need is 2 ports, an RS-232 and some firmware.  I personally don't even have
any need for NAT but I would prefer to move the filtering off my PC to a
separate box.

I checked the Nokia site and it seems like their low-end standalone is close
to what I'm describing, but I'm guessing it still costs quite a bit.

Check out iproute (www.mischler.com). It runs under dos (!)
from one floppy in as little as 1 or 2 mb ram. If you think an old 386
takes up too much space you could build a small box using one of
those small embedded pc boards.
(http://www.ampro.com/products/products.htm)

        p.

--
 Patrick Oonk - PO1-6BONE - patrick () pine nl - www.pine.nl/~patrick
 Pine Internet B.V.                            PGP key ID BE7497F1