Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: "Eric Toll" <etoll () syracusesupply com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:15:30 -0400

The sad part is that even if they have file and print sharing turned off, you can still be hacked and or hijacked,
cable modem networks are not distributed star, but more like a bus network  ( think of it like a river ) and anyone can
get a sniffer and "drink" packets and look for "password" or capture 40bit encryped https sessions, save them and crack
them later to reveal credit card numbers etc.

Do you guys think we have kiddie scripters reading this stuff?  I'd hate to think so.

Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu> 10/28/99 11:09AM >>>