Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Michael Kelly <michaelkelley () home com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:45:42 -0700

Eric Toll wrote:

The sad part is that even if they have file and print sharing turned >off, you can still be hacked and or hijacked,
cable modem networks are >not distributed star, but more like a bus network  ( think of it like a >river ) and anyone
can get a sniffer and "drink" packets and look for >"password" or capture 40bit encryped https sessions, save them
and >crack them later to reveal credit card numbers etc.

 I agree with you about this. The problem I had with the article was the
way it was presented. "Underlying Computer Code" and all that. The
amount of information presented to advise people on how to secure thier
computers was almost non-existent.

Do you guys think we have kiddie scripters reading this stuff?  I'd hate to think so.

 I'd bet on it. But on the other hand, if they are just script kiddies,
they haven't got a clue as to what anyone is talking about.