Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Tcp port 7 spam from Doubleclick

From: "C. Harald Koch" <chk () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:44:58 -0400

In message <380E13E0.E4166BFF () syracusesupply com>, Eric Toll writes:
Let me know if you like this idea, or if you think I'm insaine on this.

There's alot more of these coming; see attached for another example.

--
C. Harald Koch     <chk () pobox com>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
                -Michael T. Fry

--- Begin Message --- From: David Ambrose <stargazer1 () home com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:49:06 -0700

Got this from a friend. How obnoxious can you get?

Tom Perrine wrote:

Folks,

About a month ago we started getting reports of ISDN lines staying up
for 7x24.  And my own ISDN line started doing the same thing.  I tried
rebooting the pipeline router, disconnected from the home net, and the
line would come back up immediately.

The home router (not any of the hosts behind it) was being ping'ed, on
average about every 2-3 minutes, from anywhere between 2 and 4 hosts
out on the Internet.

All the signs pointed to an attempt to mount a "cost them some money"
attack on us.  The source IP addresses would change, the DNS PTR
records were missing or pointed to names similar to those used in
dial-up pools, the source machines were locked-down in some ways, wide
open in others (typical script kiddie box).

I finally started calling the source ISPs, with an offer to help them
find the intruders.  The response was scary:

"It's supposed to do that, it's a product."

This company, Akamai Technologies, is trying to calculate optimal and
efficient paths for "guaranteed and optimal delivery of Internet
content".

To do this, they pick thousands of IP addresses at random, and then
ping them every few minutes.  Forever.  Once they find you, they never
stop until you complain.  I pointed out that random pinging could cost
other people money, and they said they had had complaints but they
always promptly removed addresses from their lists.

Sounds just like the excuses the SPAMers use, to me.

For now there are just a few nets where these things live, but I think
that the boxes will soon be sold to anyone who wants to deliver
"content".

While I agree that this is possibly useful research-like stuff, their
cavalier attitude about "target selection" and being responsible for
the losses they cause has put them on my "target selection list."  If
they want to measure RTTs across the net they can either deploy their
own d*mn boxes, or at least get permission from the target, or take
some due diligence steps to make sure they aren't crossing any "pay
for play" network links.

They cost us some money in ISDN bills, and labor hours to track them
down.  The "don't have a position" on whether or not they will pay for
financial losses they cause.  They'll be getting a bill anyway.  The
local FBI office and the local DA are both convinced that there is a
good case for any number of violations of CA state and/or Fed law, if
losses are incurred through the negligence of Akamai.  All we have to
do is decide to press charges.

I'm going to see what their response to the billing is.  We'll take it
from there.

Here are some of the IP addresses that you may see this ping traffic from:

206.132.160.42
209.67.231.*
216.32.65.143

Some of the addresses have PTRs, and some don't.  Some are in
akamaitechnologies.com and some are in globalcenter.com.

Some folks may want to block traffic from their nets at border
routers.  We *had* left ping open on our ISDN routers because there
was some small value in it, but we'll be closing that soon.

*sigh*

--tep

--- End Message ---