Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Using DHCP (was RE: IP Spoofing)

From: "Safier, Adam (GEIS)" <Adam.Safier () geis ge com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 01:45:21 -0400

OK, Thanks to all who explained the MAC-IP association during initial
negotiation. With the MAC-IP association via proxy I can see DHCP making
life easier and allowing fewer logins while still being secure. I still see
a danger unless you do some extra setup.

       Internet

          +-LAN-- Firewall ------- Router ---- DHCP server
          |                          |
Dial-in Terminal Server              \------- LAN / Hosts

If the Dial-in Terminal Servers use DHCP and the firewall simply permits
those IP addresses in, I could spoof my IP to pretend to be coming from the
Terminal Server while actually coming from the Internet. (Nevermind return
traffic, this could be a blind attack)

This is foiled if:

- The internal Router caches a "legal" MAC-IP (ARP) list (which needs to be
entered/maintained on the DHCP server and broadcast) AND it will not forward
traffic from certain IP ranges that don't match the ARP list it got from the
DHCP server (I didn't know they were that smart....)

- Or a DHCP proxy on the firewall tracks Terminal MAC addresses and only
those are allowed.

- Or if the external interface (+) included a router (or is a separate
interface on the firewall) with an ACL blocking DHCP addresses on the
Internet interface.

Any other vulnerabilities and fixes using DHCP?

Thanks,

Adam