Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NT Routing Question

From: dwelch () uswestmail net
Date: 28 Nov 1999 16:14:00 -0800

Consider the following situation:

    | (PPP Connection to Internet)
    |
    | a.b.c.6
-------------
|             |
| NT firewall |------------- ( DMZ )
|             | a.b.c.6/29
-------------
    | 10.0.0.0/16
    |
    | ( Internal )

The PPP connection gives me a /29 net block, which is routed to the DMZ. The
ISP assigns my PPP interface a.b.c.6, which is, of course, in this netblock.
These IPs are static.

On a Linux platform, this particular configuration works beautifully. All
parts of my network can see each other just fine. The DMZ can go to the
Internet, the Internal network can go out just fine when I NAT. However,
when I use NT (no flames, please), it doesn't work right in the following ways:

1. RAS does not automatically set the "Default route" upon connecting (note
that the appropriate options are checked in the RAS configuration). I can
always add the appropriate default route by-hand.

2. Nothing on the DMZ can get to the Internet, regardless of how I have the
default route set (note that "routing" is enabled via TCP/IP).

I think part of the problem is that NT can not handle seeing the same IP on
more than one physical interface (Linux certainly can) as the routing table
shows a.b.c.6 as the interface on several entries. Does anyone have any
advice on how to resolve this problem?

--
Dameon D. Welch, a.k.a. PhoneBoy (dwelch () phoneboy com)
Check Point FireWall-1 FAQs at http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/