Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: "Proactive" Password Checking

From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:13:42 -0500

At 03:07 PM 11/16/99 -0600, Moore, James wrote:

I guess I'm responsible for the tangent this thread has taken. I was hoping
to find a good resource for coding a customized replacement for the standard
passfilt.dll that MS supplies. Since it doesn't appear that anyone knows of
one, maybe we oughta' just let this one die. My apologies to the group for
the diversion.

        Please don't be!  Everyone knows that user authentication is the
foundation for infosec.  As someone who has read and participated in
_hundreds_ of discussions about the relative weaknesses of static reusable
passwords, I gotta tell y'all that this Wizard's thread  has been one of the
most suscinct, broad, and comprehensive overviews of the topic I have read
in years.

         I've already referred hundreds of clients to the archive URL:
<http://www.nfr.net/firewall-wizards/mail-archive/1999/Nov/0043.html>

        Thank you all.

        Suerte,
                        _Vin