Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Sybase Proxy for FireWall-1 ?

From: "Martin Hauser" <hauserm () my-dejanews com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 06:53:09 -0700

Consider this setup:

Web server in a DMZ, accessible from the Internet by the public.

Sybase Open Server database runs on a server in another DMZ of the same firewall.

Web server queries this database (Cold Fusion and Sybase Open Client)

I am looking for a proxy that allows to control the Sybase queries. This proxy should do more than just opening a port,
e.g. make sure that no data is modified on the database.

In my understanding, Sybase keeps it's protocol specs proprietary which makes it probably hard for a firewall vendor to
do a good job.

Checkpoint's FireWall-1 offers some Sybase-filters (they claim to cooperate with Sybase), however I was not able to get
more information so far on what this filters exactly can do for me (neither by Sybase nor by Checkpoint).

Can anyone give me this information?
What else can I do in order to enforce my policies by the firewall?

-- Martin Hauser

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums