Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: kerberos,ipsec and application proxies

From: Rudolf Schreiner <ras () muc de>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 22:34:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

In fact, ip_filt
with a little redirection to proxies is about all you'd need,
if it had a pretty GUI.

That's exactly what I'm doing for quite a while, just without GUI.
Filters/NAT can be configured by the proxies (callback) or by a CORBA
interface, too.
Works great!

None of the products (including the
proxy firewalls) do anything noteworthy to look for attacks
in the data streams: that's all marketing more than anything
else.

I normally need strong authentication and message protection between
client and server. This means encryption between the endpoints. So the
firewall can't check the data stream anyway.

SSH makes Kerberos a moot point. You could use SSLapps if for
some reason you don't like the flexibility of SSH.

IMHO Kerberos is still very important for closely coupled distributed
systems. Kerberos 5 with GSS-API is still _the_ standard security
mechanism. I'm heavily using heimdal, the swedish Kerberos
implementation because the latency is lower. The keys (3DES) are shorter
and it's less CPU expensive.

Rudi