Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "Who else picked this one up?"

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 00:01:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

On Sat, 1 May 1999, R. DuFresne wrote:

host and or allow IRC to their users will be excluded?  And you will
filter out those testing new security scanners, so as to not put their
names on a potential future 'blacklist' also.  And those just testing

Nobody should be "testing" a scanner against a network I administer
without my express permission.  The idea that scanning a foreign network
for potential vulnerabilities without permission is valid behaviour is
just plain wrong.

I totally agree.  Yet, can I question:  Have we not just reduced this to
an arguement of cyber-moralities?  For, I think, if you got my point that
some probes are not searches for weakness, but, have some other, as yet
mysterious reason behind them, I'm sure, I've watched the probes, can even
initiate them.  Are they infact abusive assualts??  Or are they just bad
manners??!

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com
                  http://darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!