Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help, some one's hacked into my home computer

From: "Philip Molloy" <molloy () ne mediaone net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 17:29:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Lucas <denise_lucas () yahoo com>
To: firewall-wizards () nfr net <firewall-wizards () nfr net>
Date: Monday, May 17, 1999 12:19 AM
Subject: Help, some one's hacked into my home computer

i'm on a cable modem, i run back officer friendly,
stepped away from the desktop for a few hours, came
back and saw the alerts.

It looks like they ftp'd some files called
ffastun.ffl, ffastun0.ffx, ffastun.ffo, ffastun.ffa
and made some changes to system files.

Ok the files listed above are index files for find fast. find fast is a
program that comes with MS office, and indexes all the documents on your
hardrive, so MS apps will be able to find them faster. It is a resource pig,
and rarely worth running IMHO. The specific reason why they took those
files, was because they index your hard drive, so when they come back they
know where to go and what to look for.

Check out Article ID: Q166302  on MS's website for more info on that

The other question I have is which system files did they change? Changes to
anything but the registry are an easy fix.
 But if they did change the registry (system.dat/user.dat) then you might
have a small problem on your hands. Can you mail the logs from back officer
friendly?

Any suggestions, please, please call me.

Thanks,

Denise
===

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle