Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help, some one's hacked into my home computer

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:22:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Denise Lucas wrote:

i'm on a cable modem, i run back officer friendly,
stepped away from the desktop for a few hours, came
back and saw the alerts.  I've done a find on all the
files changed today and compared them with the times
that they were on.  I'm stumped on what to do next.
This is happening right now, realtime.  Can anybody
please respond.

1. Disconnect the machine from the network.
2. Figure out how they got in.
3. Reinstall the OS and applications from known-reliable sources
4. Plug the hole
5. Reinstall the data.
6. Reconnect the network

Where practical or warrented:

2.5 Remove the hard drive for evidence
2.6 contact authorities
2.7 Insert new hard drive

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280