Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Anybody have a clue why...

From: Andrew Brown <firewall-wizards () lists graffiti com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:36:57 -0400

Windows clients such as WS_FTP and Netscape work just fine when set to
passive mode. When I do a "quote PASV" in a command line ftp session (Unix
or Windows command line clients), the server says its entering passive mode,
but a list or file transfer in either direction just hangs.

when you "quote pasv", that tells the server to enter passive mode,
but not the client.  what actually happens then is probably
"implementation dependant".  for me (win95 command line -> netbsd) the
client just sends a port command and the server swaps back
automagically.  ymmv.

the client needs to support passive as well.  did you try the
"passive" command...that the win95 command line client doesn't seem to
have...oh well.  any unix should have it tho.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet