Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall RISKS

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:13:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Robert Graham wrote:

I just posted this e-mail to the RISKS list, but I thought I'd copy it
here, too.

A minor point:

Explanation: Firewall technology is based on "port filters". The

Not all firewalls are packet filtering firewalls.

average web server has many ports open for a variety of reasons, but
needs only port 80 in order to serve web pages. However, ColdFusion
runs as part of the web server reachable at port 80. QED, placing a
firewall in front of web server provides no protection against the
ColdFusion hack.

In the case of a firewall that has the ability to examine the HTTP
method, the PUT method could be disabled from a range of pages.  IMNSHO,
that should be done at the Web server level anyway and "firewalls" beyond
screening routers are fairly moot for public-access machines - host security
wins every time.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280