Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall performance

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:48:26 -0400 (EDT)

In your first posting you appeared to be asking what things besides RAM,
CPU and link speed would affect firewall performance.  I am still not 100%
clear on what kind of data you are after in fact.  Of course RAM and CPU
make a difference on a firewalls ability to handle a given load, but you
will also run into the inherent limitations of the OS or the protocol
stack (sometimes before you are even touching what the processor can do,
or the RAM can handle, or the before the link is saturated).

I have worked with a client that was working with an older firewall (it
was I think a 2 year old copy of Gauntlet) and even though they had
upgraded to a Sparc 20 with dual CPU's and 256MB of RAM, the response
still sucked.  There were 2000 users using almost exclusively http, but at
certain times of the day you would have to hit refresh several times to
get to a web site.  The interesting thing is, if you were trying to get to
a site to download a large file, when you finally initiated the download,
it screamed.  Obviously the pipe was far from saturated.  I have also seen
2 similarly configured machines handle 10,000 users (running FW-1 v.2.x)
and doing a MUCH better job, so it was not a limitation of the hardware in
my estimation.

Another factor to consider is: What kind of firewall is it?  Is it an app
proxy or stateful inspection?  For an app proxy I would be more concerned
with how fast the CPU was.  Yes RAM is definatly critical, but I want the
fastest damned thing I can find becuase it is tearing down and rebuilding
every packet that comes through it.  For stateful inspection, I am going
to be concerned with CPU, but for a high volume site, I am going to push
for a ton of RAM so it can keep all the state information ready and
available.

I think you are asking "how fast can a car go" or "what do I need to build
a house", but withought knowing what your needs are, the answer can only
be as vague as the question.

Carric Dooley
COM2:Interactive Media
http://www.com2usa.com