Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Forrester Research foresees death of firewalls (yeah, right)

From: Bill Stout <Bill.Stout () AristaSoft com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:33:17 -0700

All this talk about planes, bridges, and networks without firewalls is
giving me a headache.  (No offense intended to honorable list members).

We've been through this before (see years of archives), and each time we
fire up this thread, we agree a firewall is part of the equation, and not
the total solution to computer security.  However you can't start securing
applications without securing the network first.

The real answer is (all you consultants sing together): "It depends".  It's
much easier to have one lobby in a building than one per cubicle.  You can't
start securing offices without securing the building first.  The kicker is,
this analogy doesn't work everywhere, such as in retail, where lobbies don't
work, but watchful Infraction Detection Services do, with weak forms of ID
certificates for non-cash transactions.  Interesting point: Store security
guys can radio each other, and our nifty high-tech security toys - can't.

Bill Stout