Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft proxy as a FW

From: "Rodney van den Oever" <roever () nse simac nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:22:42 +0200

Jeez... the whitepapers should be just about enough.  The ONLY time I
would use MS Proxy is either for someone wanting to be able to proxy all
their clients through their cable modem at home and the lack knowledge
with Linux, or if is a small client (50 users or less) that again has not
linux knowledge.  Although it is not a great solution from a scalability
perspective (in fact, the word that comes to mind is "crap") it is

Spelling mistake: Microsoft's hierarchical caching protocol is called CARP
:-).

arguabley secure.  I would check the ntsecurity newsgroup for the positive
picture of MS Proxy.  To get other views, check out networkcomputing.com
(and I believe data.com just did a review of some firewalls, but MS Proxy
did not make the list of FW's to test).

It did in their previous big test.

--
Rodney van den Oever / 0x06 3547CA1 / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
'This message brought to you by Microsoft. Inventors of multitasking,